Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Dave Mozealous: Why won't my FLV's playback when deployed via a server?

Good info for Reference:
Dave Mozealous: Why won't my FLV's playback when deployed via a server?

One possible reason is that in IIS in WINDOWS 2003 FLV needs to be configured as a supported MIME type. I continually foget this, so I am posting here for two reasons:

  1. Maybe it will help someone else out
  2. Maybe it will help me remember to do this

To setup IIS to support FLV as a MIME type follow the directions below:

  1. Right click the site in IIS and select Properties
  2. Select the HTTP Headers Tab
  3. Select File Types
  4. Under the MIME Map section and select New Type
  5. Type ".flv" as the associated extension and "video/x-flv" as the content type
  6. Select OK

Your FLVs should now play back when viewed from the server. If you use a hosting company to host your files it is best to check with them about adding FLV as a supported MIME type.

No comments: